Friday, March 2, 2012

Maintenance of Status & Green Cards

When a foreign national employee is seeking to adjust his/her status from nonimmigrant to lawful permanent resident, s/he must prove that s/he always maintained valid nonimmigrant status. The easiest way to prove this, is to show paystubs. If a person lost his/her job, and therefore stopped getting paychecks, s/he failed to maintain status, and will not be permitted to change status within the United States. Of late, the California Service Center has begun to issue RFE’s (Requests for Further Evidence) seeking three, and sometimes even four, paystubs from the employer. As always, the moral of the story is one should always maintain valid status

No comments:

Post a Comment